As I watched the eMINTS video about Hartville School I not only learned valuable information about technology in the classroom, but I was encouraged. I am encouraged by the fact that there are programs like eMINTS right here in Missouri that will help me use the technology afforded to me in my classroom. Programs like this are invaluable. All too often teachers are given technologies like SMART boards and iPads and have no idea what to do with them. Even more unfortunate are the teachers who are not given the appropriate technology to keep up with the tech-savvy generation of students cycling through American schools today. Either way, teachers should be informed about technology in order to keep up with the needs of today's youth. Earlier in lesson 6 it was mentioned that the tutorial method of instruction "is by far the most effective methodology" and I believe that this eMINTS video proves it. According to Wikipedia, "Student tutorials are generally more academically challenging and rigorous than standard lecture and test format courses, because during each session students are expected to orally communicate, defend, analyze, and critique the ideas of others as well as their on in conversations with the tutor and fellow-students." This is exactly what eMINTS trains teachers to do. Instead of opting for a classical lecture model of teaching, instructors encourage students to use technology to do their own research, draw their own conclusions and showcase their findings. Altogether, this kind of self-instruction leads to more effective learning. In my art classroom I could implement this teaching philosophy in endless ways. For instance, instead of giving a lecture over the De Stijl movement I could create an internet scavenger hunt. Once they have completed the scavenger hunt that will equip them with all the knowledge they need to know about De Stijl, I would instruct them to create their own simple De Stijl artwork with just paper and markers. All of this could be done in one class period and would extend learning greatly.
Being a future art teacher, I especially like the article Picture Perfect: Teaching to Visual Literacy by Dian Schaffhauser. This article really hits the nail on the head. Why on earth would we spend an entirety of a class describing something that we could show our students in under a minute? Not to mention it's as easy as a click of the mouse. Ten years ago, teachers (especially art teachers) would have to rummage through their mountain of posters to find the image they were looking for. Compare that to today. Need to see examples of impressionism art? CLICK, "Water Lilies" by Claude Monet. TAP, "The Green Dancer" by Edgar Degas. TYPE TYPE TYPE, "Fields"by Camille Pissarro. It is that easy. There is no excuse. As I read this article I immediately thought back to the little boy in the You Can't Be My Teacher video holding up his textbook and asking, "Is this what you're going to use to teach me with?" The answer to that question really should be no. No, we will not sell you short. Yes, we will use the technology that is at our fingertips to give you the most well-rounded education possible.
Resources:
eMINTS Video about Hartville School
Tutorial Method of Instruction
Picture Perfect: Teaching to Visual Literacy
You Can't Be My Tecaher
No comments:
Post a Comment